This is a comfort food classic! All you need are some beans and greens and your creativity to make a wholesome dinner! This is a rustic dish full of fiber and protein. To make my version use cannellini beans, swiss chard and sausage. This is a one pot meal with very little clean up. Delicious and filling!
Leftover beans or can of beans, drained (try: cannellini, pinto, kidney or garbanzo)
1 bunch of greens, washed and dried and chopped (try: swiss chard, beet greens, spinach, kale)
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic coarsely chopped
spices: salt, pepper
dash of balsamic vinegar
cheese to sprinkle on top
Sausage â€“ sliced
Bacon – chopped
Ham – chopped
Bell peppers – chopped
1) If you are using sausage: fill a large skillet with 2 inches of water. Place sausage in water and boil it for @ 5 minutes or until sausage is cooked. Then go to step #2 (If not using sausage got to step # 2).
2) Heat pan and olive oil on medium-high heat. Place meat, onions, peppers in oil and sautÃ© until meat is browned and vegetables are soft.
3) Add garlic to pan and sautÃ© all together about 3-5 minutes
4) Once meat is browned and starts sticking to the pan, place a dash of balsamic vinegar and stir, scrapping bottom of pan
5) Stir in beans and cook about 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
6) Add greens and sautÃ© until wilted over low heat
7) If you are using rice, stir in cooked rice and cook altogether for about 2 mintes until everything is incorporated
8) Serve in bowls, sprinkle each serving with shredded cheese and serve with crusty bread.